Federal judge temporarily pauses RFK Jr. effort to rescind billions of public health funds
Source: The Hill
04/03/25 5:12 PM ET
A federal judge granted a temporary restraining order Thursday that stops the Trump administration from pulling back more than $11 billion in public health funding from state and local health departments.
Judge Mary McElroy of the federal district court in Rhode Island granted a 14-day restraining order to a group of 23 states and the District of Columbia that filed a lawsuit against the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) earlier this week.
The likelihood of success on the merits is extremely strong, McElroy said at the conclusion of the brief hearing, noting that the record is voluminous
with allegations of irreparable harm if the funding were to cease. The states asked for a preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order to stop the cuts from taking effect. The officials claimed the administration acted unlawfully, without any analysis of benefits of the health funding or the dire consequences of termination.
The HHS said the funds, totaling $11.4 billion, were primarily used for COVID-19 response including testing, vaccination and hiring community health workers. Since the pandemic has ended, the HHS said the funds would be rescinded.
Read more: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5231020-federal-judge-temporary-pause-trump-administration-public-health-funding-cuts/