Travel industry worries after Trump administration reiterates threat to sanctuary city airports
Source: AP
Updated 11:41 AM EDT, May 23, 2026
The travel industry is on edge after Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin reiterated his threat to withdraw U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers from airports in so-called sanctuary cities in a move that could jeopardize international flights.
The U.S. Travel Association said that Mullin confirmed he is considering withdrawing CPB officers in a meeting where the trade group was pressing its concerns about other proposals the Trump administration is considering that could hamper travel. U.S. Travel and the major airlines quickly condemned the idea, and even Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said it doesnt make sense to him.
U.S. Travel believes such a move would have devastating consequences for the travel industry and communities that depend on international visitation, the industry group said Friday in a statement. Details of the meeting were first reported by The Atlantic.
Duffy told a Congressional hearing earlier this week that he wasnt familiar with Mullins remarks, and hed like to learn more about the context and maybe ask Mullin a question about what he meant. But Duffy said it would be a bad idea to start restricting travel based on political views. After all, at some point Democrats will be in charge and you will all switch spots at one point hopefully not too soon Mr. Chairman, Duffy said.
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/sanctuary-cities-mullin-trump-flights-screening-cbp-380519008d0dc995e4c0a6dee0b79033
Srkdqltr
(9,968 posts)How stupid are these people who run the companies?